Apple has just released its latest Operating Systems designed for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch on Monday, Sept. 17.
The major software update “iOS 12” focuses on performance boosts and AR Experiences, also adding several new features like Screen Time, Siri Shortcuts, Memoji and more.
iOS 12 was first unveiled at WWDC 2018 in June and now available on all devices able to run iOS 11 including 2013’s iPhone 5S, iPad Air and 6th-gen iPod touch.
Here are new features and main changes in iOS 12
- Performance Improvements: work more speedily like launching Camer up to 70% faster
- Screen Time: track the time spent on devices
- Siri Shortcuts: deliver a faster way to get things done with the ability for any app to work with Siri
- Notifications: automatically grouped together from the same app
- Memoji: new customizable Animoji
- Do Not Disturb: ability to turn off after a set time, location or calendar event
- FaceTime: Camera effects transform your look in real-time
- AR: ARKit 2 enables to view AR objects with built-in apps like News, Safari, and Files
- Photos: “For You tab” to rediscover in library with Featured Photos and Effect Suggestions, Sharing Suggestions and RAW support for editing images
- Privacy: tracking protection on the web
- New gesture for iPad: swipe up from the bottom of the screen to go home screen and swipe down from the top right to access Control Center on iPad
- Animoji: include T. rex, ghost, koala, and tiger
- CarPlay: add support for third-party navigation apps
- Camera: Portrait mode improvements preserve fine detail between subject and background when using Stage Light and Stage Light Mono effects
- Battery Information: show usage for the last 24 hours or 10 days
Group FaceTime feature (video and audio with up to 32 people at once) was delayed and will come later in a future update.
Apple also today released “watchOS 5” for Apple Watch and “tvOS 12” for Apple TV. And macOS “Mojave” set to release on September 24.